b. 1982, UK
Navine G. Khan-Dossos is visual artist based in Athens. She focuses on the complex relationship between Islam and the West in both historical and contemporary contexts. Her approach to this research is rooted in traditional western art history, whereas her painting is based on training in the philosophy and craft of Islamic art. Her interests include Orientalism in the digital realm, geometry as information and decoration, image calibration, and aniconism in contemporary culture.
My TV Ain’t HD, That’s Too Real (2015) presented as part of the Art In The Age Of... series of the Witte de With Center for Contemporary Art in Rotterdam was a series of “in-process” wall paintings that evolved throughout the exhibition with a new layer added at set times each month in response to media reports on the ongoing war with the Islamic State.
Khan-Dossos studied art history at Cambridge University, Arabic at Kuwait University, Islamic Art at the Prince’s School of Traditional Art in London, and holds an MA in Fine Art from Chelsea College of Art & Design, London. During 2014 - 2015, she was a participant at the Van Eyck Academie in Maastricht.
She has exhibited and worked with various institutions, including The Museum of Islamic Art (Doha), Witte de With (Rotterdam), The Delfina Foundation (London), The Library of Amiens (Amiens), Leighton House Museum (London), and the A.M. Qattan Foundation (Ramallah). She has published work in The White Review and The Happy Hypocrite.
- Echo Chamber, Van Abbenmuseum, Eindhoven - The Netherlands, 2017
- Evidentiary Realism, Fridman Gallery, New York, US, 2017
- Infoesque, Fridman Gallery, New York - US, 2017
- Future Climates, State of Concept, Athens - Greece, 2017
- Imagine A Palm Tree, Benaki Museum, Kerameikos Building Complex, Athens - Greece, 2016
- The Black Standard (with Niek Hendrix), Galerie Roger Katwijk, Amsterdam - Netherlands, 2016
- Remaining and Expanding, Evelyn Yard, London - UK, 2016
- Komt Hier Aan Deze Gele Vlaktes, Probe Projects - Netherlands, 2015
- Art In The Age Of …. Asymmetric Warfare, Witte de With - Rotterdam, 2015
- ψ, Fokidos, Athens - Greece, 2015
- Art In The Age Of …. Planetary Computation, Witte de With, Rotterdam - Netherlands, 2015
- Si Siht Eht Evol? Delfina Foundartion, London - UK, 2015
- The Girl With The Sun In Her Head, Van Eyck Academy, Maastricht - Netherlands, 2015