b. 1981, Zaanstad, Netherlands
The artistic research of the Rotterdam based artist Joris Strijbos focuses on cybernetics, swarm intelligence, communication networks, and emergent systems. Through his kinetic installations he develops complex immersive and synaesthetic landscapes in which image, sound and light continually intertwine in a synchronized choreography. Several of his artworks are programmed with algorithms to reflect specific organic structures and “natural” behaviors like selforganization, which are then revealed to the audience in the movements and abstract light patterns of the machine.
Joris Strijbos is part of Macular, a collective of artists researching the interplay of light, sound and motion. Their practice focuses on the programming and manipulation of emergent systems and properties as well as on the constant observation of natural phenomena and dynamic processes. They create largescale multisensoryinstallations of minimalist aesthetics that often address humans’ relationship with the natural world, such as Drifting Patterns (2014), Windweld (2011), and Phase=Order (2010). Strijbos’s recent works include Parsec (2013), with coauthor Daan Johan, and Revolve (2011), with the collective Macular, two kinetic light sculptures that perform a generative composition based on swarm synthesis. Both artworks explore the fringes of human visual and aural perception, and produce a relentless sensory overload through stroboscopic pulses and light, inducing hypnagogic states in viewers.
Joris Strijbos studied BA Arts and Sciences at the Royal Academy of Art in The Hague, with a Masters degree from the Royal Conservatory of The Hague. His work has been presented at Ars Electronica (Linz), Sonic Acts (Amsterdam), TodaysArt Festival, STRP (Eindhoven), DEAF Biennale (Rotterdam), Wood Street Galleries (Pittsburg), Atonal Festival (Berlin), WRO International Media Art Biennale (Wroclaw), and the Van Gogh Museum (Amsterdam).
- Oscillations, NOME, Berlin - Germany, 2016
- U-AV, EYE Film Museum, Amsterdam - Netherland, 2016
- IsoScope, Sonic Acts Academy event at Museumplein, Stedelijk Museum, Amsterdam - Netherlands, 2016
- ARSEC and Drifting Patterns, Interstice Festival, Cae - France, 2016
- Pendulum Light, Parklicht, Amsterdam - Netherlands, 2015
- U-AV 2, Sonic Acts Festival Amsterdam - Netherlands, 2015
- Displace, verkeerstoren Ypenburg - Netherlands, 2015
- Cycles, Tetem Kunstruimte - Netherlands, 2015
- Inclement + Vindauga, IMG-SRC, Utrecht - Netherlands, 2015
- PARSEC, Drift Fetival, Nijmegen - Netherlands, 2014